Monday, February 6, 2012

MSG

What exactly is MSG?  Why is it so bad  terrible for your body?  (Click here for a great website explaining what MSG is). 


Today I was looking for bratwurst for my husband's birthday.  I grabbed the normal brand of brats that we have been eating and suddenly started to read the ingredients.  To my horror, I read that there is corn syrup and Mono-Sodium Glutamate in it (MSG)I threw the package down frustrated and picked up the brand right next to it.  Again, corn syrup and MSG were listed.  Seriously?  I thought that people got off the MSG train in the 90's.  Don't food manufacturers know this flavor additive is a slow poison to our bodies?  Luckily, I was able to find a different, but slightly more expensive brand. 

The more I look, the more I am finding the nasty substance in food.  It is in the canned chili I regularly buy and serve with a baked potato.  It is in all of the canned soups I used to use to make casseroles or funeral potatoes. I am having to change what I buy and how I cook.  This been frustrating and a slow process, but we are getting there.

What I would like to know:
  • Where have you found MSG that has surprised you? 
  • What do you do to avoid MSG?
Solution

I have found a canned soup substitute that works well.  In fact, I think it has more flavor and gives the dish a more fresh (or less preserved) flavor.


Better-Than-Condensed-Soup White Sauce
Makes about the same as one 10-oz. can
3 Tablespoons butter
3 Tablespoons unbleached flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk, stock or combination
  1. Melt butter in heavy saucepan.
  2. Blend in the flour and salt, cooking until bubbly.
  3. Stir in your choice of milk, stock or a combination of the two, using a wire whisk to prevent lumps.
  4. Cook until just smooth and thickened.
Optional flavors and add-ins (replacing various “cream of…” condensed soups):
  • cheese: add 1/2 cup grated cheese and 1/4 t. dry mustard
  • tomato: use tomato juice as liquid (instead of milk or stock); add a dash of each: garlic salt, dried onion, basil and oregano.
  • mushroom: sauté 1/4 cup chopped mushrooms and 1 T. finely chopped onion in the butter, before adding the flour.
  • celery: sauté 1/2 cup chopped celery and 1 T. finely chopped onion in the butter, before adding the flour.
  • chicken: use chicken broth/stock as half the liquid. Add 1/4 t. poultry seasoning or sage, and diced cooked chicken, if desired.
  • for other varied flavors, try: curry powder, garlic/onion/celery salt, grated nutmeg, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, chili powder, chopped or blended vegetables, chopped parsley, chopped chives, chopped hard-cooked eggs.
 Delicious meals that can be made from a white sauce:
·       Chicken Pot Pie
·       Chicken Alfredo
·       Beef Stroganoff
·       Broccoli cheese soup
·       Potato chowder
·       Hawaiian Haystacks
·       Macaroni and Cheese
  
*I love to add a small container of Greek yogurt to my white sauce for added protein and a nice tangy flavor.

5 comments:

  1. When I started looking I found MSG in a lot of dressings, Asian sauces, and of course soups. Thank you for the recipe ideas! One thing that usually has MSG are boullion cubes, but it is really expensive to buy chicken or vegetable broth in a cans. I was happy to discover Better Than Boullion at Costco. It is low sodium, organic, fat free, and has no MSG. It is a paste which makes it easy to add flavor to soups in whatever amt you want (no more trying to cut boullion cubes in half).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I haven't even begun to read dressing labels. Thank you for telling me that! I also didn't think about bouillon cubes. Thank you for the tip. I am excited to be able to learn from you.

      Delete
  2. This is great! I always try to steer clear of MSG, but I didn't realize that hydrolyzed vegetable protein and other glutamate additives (however labled) were equivalent. I just discovered a few more things in our cupboard we should toss.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, we're not perfectly healthy eaters (it's a process...), but we have started to make our own Ranch Dressing! That doesn't make it a super food, but at least no more MSG.
    If you're interested...
    2 cloves garlic
    1/4 tsp. salt
    1 c. mayo (we get olive oil mayo)
    1/2 c. sour cream
    1/2 to 3/4 c. buttermilk (or milk to taste)
    1/4 c. chopped flat leaf parsley
    2 Tbs. chopped chives
    2 tsp. chopped fresh dill
    With a fork, make paste of garlic and salt. Mix in all other ingredients. Chill for a couple of hours before serving.
    Optional ingredients: white vinegar, worcestershire sauce, cayenne pepper, paprika, oregano, pepper, tobasco

    ReplyDelete